Monday, August 22, 2011

Dates with Alex

I just had the best weekend. Obviously, I didn't even have time to post about what I did. Saturday, I took Alex to El Ranchito, the best Mexican food in the entire DFW area. It's down in Oak Cliff, but we went during the day, so it was as safe as anyplace else. Their tortillas are hand-made, and you can watch them make them. I haven't had that for years -- even my wela gets the raw packaged tortillas from the grocery.

But I'm getting off track here. We had a great meal, then went to a little book store down there called Cliff Notes. We had fun browsing together. We then found a Starbucks closer to home and talked for hours. I asked her out Sunday, and told her I'd find us something interesting to do. The only time I spent online before I went to bed was finding something to do Sunday.

Sunday we went to the butterfly exhibit at Fair Park. She was utterly delighted -- and I certainly can't say I wasn't overwhelmed at the beautiful butterflies myself. Then we went to the Dallas Museum of Art, where I got to talk to her about art and discuss what the artists were doing. She seemed interested -- at least, I hope she was interested. At least, she didn't turn me down when I suggested we go to Fort Worth to visit the museums over there.

We had a light, late dinner at Cafe Brazil, where we pretty much hung out, eating and drinking coffee and talking for hours. I don't even know how long we were there. I think there was a shift change.

Alex is a biology major and is interested in the evolution of sex -- why it evolved, the consequences of its evolution, etc. Fascinating stuff. We talked complexity, and she thought that there were similarities between spontaneous order economics and ecosystems in their network structures. I wouldn't doubt it. Nature, once it finds something that works, tends to reproduce it.

We also talked about our families. I told her about growing up in the Valley. She told me about her hippie parents, and that she had lived in a commune for a while. The way we view the world is remarkably similar, though we come from quite different backgrounds. You never know. I can't wait to see her again. We plan to go out again next weekend, but maybe we can meet at Starbucks between now and then. I just love being with her. I don't think we stopped touching for more than a few minutes at a time. What a beautiful girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment